INSTRUCTIONS FOR SAMPLING
1) Find suitable containers for each sample, either a plastic bag, plastic box (an empty, clean margarine tub is a good idea) or empty honey jar.
2) Write your name, hive reference and apiary location on the outside of each container.
3) Thirty (30) mature bees will be needed for the test. To achieve this it will be easiest to catch flying bees around the entrance.
4) Choose a day and time when the bees are flying actively.
5) Close the entrance for a while until returning bees are crowding the entrance.
6) Brush or scoop 30+ bees into the container – it can be done!
7) Seal the container, check the label and place in a freezer immediately.
8) Remove the bees from the freezer only on the day of the test to minimise decomposition.
9) Bees and details can be sent with a fellow member on the day.
10) Privacy and confidentiality will be respected and personal information will not be passed onto any other organisation.
All samples to be given to Divisional Testing Team.